01 May 2008

Showdown at the Suncrest Corral...aka Suncrest Fitness Center

Background: Back in February our remote outpost of Spokane (Nine Mile Falls) was rewarded (or cursed depending upon your outlook and predisposition to exercise) by the opening of a new fitness center called Suncrest Fitness This spurred me to a new level of exercise and conditioning that has made huge difference for me. During this time I met with a personal trainer and set up a vigorous schedule of weight training and cardio conditioning. After all, rowing season is coming up... that's another story for later. Imagine me, the guy who has been in a gym all of 3 times in his life, being surrounded by the modern equivalent of instruments of torture.

The Showdown - One of these machines in the far corner of the gym is called a Jacobs Ladder. This machine has to be one of the toughest cardio workouts you could imagine. Many people only last 5 to 10 minutes. A few hardier souls manage to endure up to 20 to 30 minutes. Crazy me... I decided to push to 30 minutes about a month ago. Almost had to be medevaced out...well, not quite. This set a new club record and the gauntlet had been laid. Soon some teenage boy came in and decided to best me. Not to be outdone by some young lad, I recently pushed to 45 minutes...Ah Hah! New club record. Then about a week ago I received a voice message from my trainer. Being only a week younger than me and quite competitive, he had gone to 1 hour! So much for those youngsters; us 40ish guys run real risks doing this stuff. The ladies all say we're out of control. Hmm...could it be true? He also was so bold as to claim he would manage 2 hours by this Friday. Yikes! I need to keep an eye on this.


"Is he working... or did he seize up?"

Ted, I'll see your 2 hours (or whatever) and raise you an additional 15%

Your Nemesis

No comments: